Coconut lovers this Gluten-free Blackberry Coconut Cake is for you. A perfect healthy afternoon treat with a cup of tea. Coconuts are full of nutritional goodness. Coconut flesh is an excellent source of dietary fibre and contains vitamins B, C and E and minerals iron, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. Coconut oil is rich in beneficial medium-chain fatty acids which help boost metabolism to increase fat burning, along with being a great source of energy for the body and brain.
Gluten-free, Blackberry Coconut Cake
3 large organic eggs
1 cup coconut milk
⅓ cup coconut oil
⅓ cup raw honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup blanched almond meal
2 tablespoon coconut flour
1 ½ cups desiccated coconut
1 x 400ml can coconut cream
2 tsp raw honey
1. It is important that you put your coconut cream in the freezer for an hour so the cream sets on the top.
2. Preheat your oven to 180*C. Line a round cake tin with baking paper and greaze up the sides with coconut oil.
3. Place eggs, coconut milk, melted coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract in a small bowl and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl add almond meal, coconut flour, and desiccated coconut, and mix well.
5. Mix wet ingredients into dry and combine well.
6. Pour into your cake tin and bake for 35 minutes or until your cake starts to go golden.
7. To make the coconut icing turn your coconut cream can upside down and take off the lid. Pour out the liquid and scoop out the cream left on top. Blend this with some honey and then wait until your cake is completely cooled before spreading it on top. If you don't wait until your cake has cooled your icing will melt.
8. Decorate with blackberries and keep in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.