Regular fruit cakes are typically rich in butter and added sugars, so they're high in saturated fats and calories. If you're wanting a healthier option these holidays try this delicious, moist, wholesome fruit cake recipe that is free from added sugars, oils or butter.
Healthy Festive Fruit Cake
375g mixed sun-dried fruit (date, apple, pear, apricot, sultanas)
425g can mangoes, diced (in natural juice) – keep the juice
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1¼ cups wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon allspice
2 organic eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup almond flakes
½ cup crushed walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180*C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add mango with juice and dried fruit. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Place flour, baking powder, baking soda and all spice in a large bowl and combine.
- Lightly beat eggs and then mix them through your flour mixture, until well combined.
- Mix through fruit, almonds and walnuts.
- Pour mixture into your loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes. Cover with foil if your cake is becoming too brown. When your cake is cooked an inserted skewer should come out cleanly from the centre.
- Decorate with dried citrus pieces or almonds.