This beautiful gluten-free cake is lovely and moist and full of delightful citrus flavours. It’s packed with goodness, including dietary fibre for good digestive health, beta-carotene for healthy vision, zinc and magnesium, needed to support healthy reproductive and nervous system function. You will also get a good dose of protein from this grain-free cake. Almond meal is a nutritious alternative to regular flour in cakes, which gives a lovely light texture and provides vital amino acids needed to build and repair the body.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free
Orange, Turmeric and Pistachio Cake
2 organic oranges
5 organic eggs
1/3 cup honey + 1 heap tbsp
2 cups almond meal
½ cup organic polenta or cornmeal
½ heap tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or essence
Decorate with slices of orange, flowers, roughly chopped pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 170*C.
2. Grease a large cake tin with some coconut oil and cut out a circle of baking paper for the bottom of the tin. This will prevent your cake from sticking.
3. Place whole oranges (with skin) in a large pot of boiling water and simmer for 1 hour with the lid on.
4. Once oranges are cooked, cut them in quarters and place them in your food processor.
5. Add all the other ingredients to your food processor and blend until mixture is smooth and well combined.
6. Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a skewer comes out cleanly from the centre.
7. Drizzle cake in honey.
8. Allow cake to cool and then decorate with fresh fruit, flowers, pistachios and serve.
Delicious served with natural yoghurt.
For high tea use a square tin and cut your cake into small squares.
Tea pairing: Bodhi Organic ZesTEA goes beautifully with this Gluten Free Orange, Turmeric and Pistachio Cake.