This delicious crumble cake makes a perfect afternoon tea treat or dessert served warm with some homemade custard. Rhubarb is a great source of dietary fibre and has a natural laxative effect so it is beneficial for digestive health and to improve bowel regularity and bloating. Rhubarb also contains calcium and vitamin K which are both important for bone health.
Strawberry & Rhubarb Crumble Cake
1 ½ cup halved strawberries
1 1/2 cup rhubarb, trimmed cut into 2 cm pieces
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp raw honey
½ tsp ground ginger
2 ½ cups almond meal
¼ cup coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 organic eggs
¼ cup raw honey
¼ cup cold pressed olive oil
2 tsp vanilla extract or paste
1 ½ cup apples grated (around 2 apples)
½ cup Flaked almonds
¼ cup almond flour
3 Tbsp cold pressed olive oil
2 Tbsp Coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 180* C. Line a 6 inch round cake tin with baking paper.
- Cook filling ingredients, rhubarb and strawberries with water, honey and ginger in a small saucepan, covered, for 4-5 minutes, until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Place all cake ingredients in your food processor and blend until well combined.
- Pour cake mixture into the cake tin. Top with rhubarb and strawberries (strain off any excess juices).
- Combine all crumble ingredients in a medium bowl and with your hands mix together until you have a crumble consistency.
- Cover rhubarb and strawberries with crumble.
- Place in the oven for 45 minutes. Allow to cool in the cake tin before removing.
Delicious on its own or served warm with homemade custard, coconut yoghurt or fresh cream.