These lovely moist Lemon & Polenta Almond Friands work beautifully as a wholesome afternoon treat with a cup of tea. Polenta (made from cornmeal) is gluten-free and is rich in dietary fibre to support good digestive health. Polenta is also a good source of carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin. Studies have shown that including these carotenoids in the diet has been found to help reduce the risk of cataracts and age related macular degeneration. Polenta also provides some B vitamins along with phosphorus, potassium, zinc and magnesium.
Lemon & Polenta Almond Friands
3 organic eggs
1/3 cup raw honey
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
Juice and zest of large lemon
1 1/2 cup almond meal
3/4 cup instant organic polenta
1 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp raw honey
Juice 1 small lemon
- Preheat your oven to 180*C. Grease a non-stick muffin or friand tin.
- In a small bowl whisk wet ingredients together.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix by hand until well combined.
- Pour mixture into friand holes and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- To make the syrup, mix honey and lemon juice together in a small saucepan until well combined.
- Allow your friands to cool and then with a skewer make 4 or 5 holes in each friand.
- Pour syrup over the friands and then let them sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Delicious served with a dollop of fresh cream or coconut yoghurt.