These wholesome Gluten-free Apple Pies make the perfect Christmas dessert or healthy afternoon tea treat. Apples are an excellent source of dietary fibre that can lower high cholesterol and help promote cardiovascular health. Apples are also rich in important phytonutrients and protective antioxidants. Leave the skins on if you're using organic apples as they're loaded with dietary fibre and antioxidants. The skins are loaded with dietary fibre and polyphenols that have potent antioxidant effects.
Gluten-free Apple Pies
7 organic delicious apples, cored and cut into thin slices
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ cup coconut sugar
2 heap Tbsp corn or tapioca flour
4 cups almond flour
2 heap Tbsp coconut sugar
80 g organic butter
2 organic eggs
- Preheat your oven to 170*C. Grease 4 individual pie tins.
- Place apple slices, lemon juice, cinnamon, coconut sugar and cornflour in a large bowl and toss until apples are well covered.
- Place crust ingredients into your food processor and blend until combined. Wrap in baking paper and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Place dough on a board in-between two pieces of baking paper. Roll out flat then press out 4 bases with your pie tins.
- Place bases in each pie tin and press base mixture up the sides. Trim the tops with a knife.
- Fill pies with apple then lay strips of the crust over the top of your pie. Using the back of a fork press around the outside edges of the pies.
- Put in the oven for around 40-45 minutes until golden brown and apple cooked through. If the edges are becoming too brown cover them with foil.
- When your pies are ready take them out of the oven and let them cool a little before serving. Delicious served with homemade gluten-free custard, whipped cream or coconut cream.