This wholesome Chai spiced porridge with stewed stone fruit is loaded with dietary fibre to assist with healthy digestion and cardiovascular health. Oats are an excellent source of beta-glucan which helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels. Including fibre-rich foods in the diet also helps support bowel health and weight management.
Chai Spiced Porridge with Stewed Stone Fruit
3 peaches, quartered
4 plums, halved
4 apricots, halved
Juice and zest of a lime
1 Tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
½ cup rolled oats
1 cup milk of choice (macadamia, almond, coconut)
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
Pinch ground cardamom
½ tsp pure vanilla extract or paste
Handful flaked almonds or toasted buckinis
2 tsp raw honey or maple syrup – optional
- Preheat oven to 200*C.
- Place fruit in an oven proof dish.
- Drizzle fruit with honey and lime juice and zest.
- Cover dish with foil and put in the oven to stew for 25-30 minutes until all the fruit is soft.
- Leftover stewed fruit keeps well in the fridge for 3 days.
- To make the porridge place oats, milk, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil then reduce the heat to a simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on. Stir occasionally and add more milk or water if you want a thinner consistency. Add some honey if you desire.
- Serve porridge topped with stewed fruits and flaked almonds.
Makes enough stewed fruit for 4 serves and porridge for 1.