This delicious creamy Chai Latte Recipe can be made with the milk of your choice, however it is absolutely beautiful made with fresh homemade macadamia milk, which is so quick and easy to make and is full of nutritional goodness. Using a milk that contains healthy fats helps bring out the lovely flavours from your aromatic chai spices.
Macadamia nuts are jam packed with important nutrients needed for good health. These beautiful soft buttery nuts are rich in monounsaturated fats that help protect against cardiovascular disease by lowering cholesterol levels and triglycerides. They contain plenty of protective flavonoids, which are plant compounds that have impressive antioxidant properties that fight free radicals in the body. A build-up of free radicals can lead to the development of cancer and heart disease. Macadamia nuts are also a fantastic source of protein and fibre, making them a good choice for keeping blood sugar levels balanced and sugar cravings at bay. They also provide important vitamins and minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin B1 and magnesium.
Masala chai is made with black tea and lovely warming spices such as ginger, cinnamon and cardamom. These spices are beneficial for stimulating circulation, reducing inflammation in the body and for aiding digestion. This tasty tea also supplies plenty of antioxidants which help protect the body from cancer and cardiovascular disease. Cinnamon and black tea also have a blood sugar level stabilising effect.
TIP: This gorgeous drink is delicious served hot or iced. For an iced chai pour cooled chai macadamia nut milk over ice then enjoy.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan
Activated Macadamia nut milk
1 cup raw macadamia nuts
6 cups filtered water
5 fresh medjool dates
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Soak macadamia nuts for 2 hours. You only need to soak macadamia nuts for a short time to activate them. This will help improve their digestibility and nutrient availability. Don’t over soak them.
- Place nuts, water, vanilla bean paste and dates into your blender and blend until you have a lovely white creamy milk.
- The beauty of using macadamia nuts is that you don’t have to strain your milk, unlike almond milk.
- Pour your macadamia nut milk into glass jars and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
2 heap Tbsp Bodhi Organic Masala Chai
2 cup macadamia nut milk
1-2 tsp raw honey, coconut sugar or 1 medjool date
OPTIONAL: For a delicious chocolate drink add 2 tsp raw cacao powder.
- Place macadamia nut milk and chai (and optional cacao powder) in a small saucepan and heat on a high temperature until it nearly starts to boil, then bring the heat down it down to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain and then add some honey or coconut sugar. If you would like to sweeten your chai with a medjool date add into in the saucepan with the nut milk and chai.