These mouthwatering Red Velvet Beetroot Cupcakes are so moist and chocolatey you won't be able to resist going back for seconds. These nourishing gluten-free cupcakes are an excellent source of dietary fibre and protein to help keep your blood sugar levels nice and stable and stop you from craving sugars. Beetroot is rich in antioxidants and beta-carotene, which protects cells in the body from oxidative damage and inflammation. Including antioxidant-rich foods like beetroot in the diet is one of the best ways to reduce the risk of chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease. Strawberries are another excellent source of free radical-neutralising antioxidants and vitamin C, both important for boosting immune health and for preventing infections and chronic disease.
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Grain-free
Red Velvet Beetroot Cupcakes
1½ cups almond meal
¼ cup raw cacao powder
Pinch sea salt
¼ tsp baking soda
2 organic eggs
3 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil
¼ cup raw honey
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or essence
190g raw beetroot (around 1 medium beet), finely grated
1 large apple, peeled & grated
½ cup diced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Place cupcake cases in tin cupcake tray or use a silicon cupcake tray.
- In a large bowl combine almond meal, salt, cacao, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl combine eggs, coconut oil, honey and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture into your dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Stir through grated beetroot, apple and then fold through strawberry pieces.
- Pour mixture into cupcake cases and cook for around 50 mins, until skewer comes out cleanly from centre.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
TIP: Try serving these cupcakes warm with a dollop of coconut yoghurt or cream.