Here's a healthy twist on an all time Aussie favourite, Gluten-free Lamington Cake with Strawberry Chia Jam. This decadent grain-free cake made with almond meal is a great source of protein, dietary fibre and important nutrients such as zinc, magnesium and calcium.
Gluten-free Lamington Cake with Strawberry Chia Jam
3 Tbsp coconut flour
3 cups blanched almond meal
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup milk of choice
1/3 cup raw honey
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Pinch sea salt
4 organic eggs
1 cup small diced frozen or fresh strawberries
1 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds
2 tsp raw honey
1 cup organic full-fat whipping cream
1 tsp organic grass-fed gelatin (or agar-agar powder)
½ tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
280g good quality dark chocolate
¼ cup cream
Desiccated unsweetened coconut
1. Preheat your oven to 160*C and grease and line a square (10 inch x 10 inch) cake tin with baking paper.
2. In a medium bowl combine coconut flour, almond meal, salt and baking powder.
3. In a small bowl combine eggs, honey, milk, vanilla, and olive oil and whisk until well combined. Pour mixture into dry ingredients and gently combine.
4. Spoon batter into your cake tin and bake for around 30-35 minutes, until golden and a skewer comes out cleanly from the centre. Check after 25 minutes to make sure your cake is not burning. Allow your cake to cool completely before cutting.
5. While your cake is cooking make the chia jam. In a small saucepan add strawberries, 2 Tbsp water, chia seeds and honey and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Mash with a the back of a fork if needed. Pour into a jar and allow it to cool.
6. The trick to making whipped cream that you can pipe and won’t slide away is to add a little gelatin. Agar agar can also be used for a vegan option. First place your bowl and beaters in the freezer for 10 minutes to cool, this will make your cream easier to whip. Put 4 tsp of water in a small bowl and sprinkle with 1 tsp of gelatin. Let it sit for 4 minutes and then place it in the microwave for 5 seconds. Give it a stir and then let it cool. Whip 1 cup of cream until it starts to form soft peaks, then slowly drizzle in the gelatin while still whipping.
7. To make the chocolate coating place chocolate and cream in a bowl in a water bath over low heat. Keep stirring until it becomes nice and smooth then take it off the heat to cool a little.
8. Cut your cake half and then cover the top and sides of one half with chocolate. Then cover the sides of the other half with chocolate. Sprinkle with coconut, and press coconut into the sides of your cake.
9. Spread one half with jam, add pipped cream and then place the other half of the cake on top. Decorate with fresh strawberries. Keep your lamington cake in the fridge until it's ready to serve. Enjoy!