These delectable gluten-free 'Strawberry & Lemon Tea Cakes with Chia Jam' make a delicious healthy afternoon tea treat with a cup of tea. Strawberries are a fantastic source of protective antioxidants called anthocyanins, which neutralise damaging free radicals in the body and decreases the risk of chronic disease such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, and premature ageing. Coconut flour is a rich source of dietary fibre, containing almost double that of wheat bran. According to a 2016 study consuming coconut flour can help reduce the risk of heart disease, lower cholesterol levels and help protect against cancer and type-2 diabetes. This cake also provides plenty of protein which helps keep blood sugar levels balanced and sugar cravings at bay.
Gluten-free and dairy-free.
Strawberry & Lemon Tea Cakes w/ Chia Jam
½ cup coconut flour
2 ½ tsp gluten free baking powder
Pinch sea salt
6 organic eggs
¼ cup raw honey
1/3 cup cold pressed coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
Juice 2 tbsp and zest ½ lemon
Strawberries for topping
Handful roughly chopped almonds for topping
2 cups strawberries
2 heap Tbsp chia seeds
3 Tbsp raw honey
- Preheat oven to 160*C. Lightly grease a 12 hole muffin tin.
- To make the jam place strawberries, chia seeds and raw honey in your food processor and blend until well combined. Pour into a small saucepan and heat on low for around 6 minutes, until your jam starts to thicken. Pour into a glass jar and allow to cool. Leftovers will last for a week in the fridge.
- Place all ingredients in your food processor (except strawberries and almonds) and blend until well combined.
- Slice whole strawberries thinly.
- Pour mixture into your muffin tin and arrange 4 strawberry slices on each cake and then put almond pieces in the centre of each.
- Bake for 35-40 min or until a skewer comes out cleanly.
- Allow to cool and then enjoy.
Makes 10 small cakes.