This beautiful vegan coconut berry tart with almond and hemp base is perfect for a healthy dessert or high tea. Hemp seeds are an excellent plant-based source of protein and are high in beneficial omega-3 fats, vitamin E, zinc and magnesium. They also contain a type of fat called gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. Hemp seeds provide soluble and insoluble fiber, which can help to promote healthy digestion and regulate blood sugar levels. Agar agar is a vegan alternative to gelatine made from seaweed. It has been traditionally used in Asian cuisine as a thickener. Agar agar is a good source of dietary fiber and may help with blood sugar control and digestion.
Vegan Coconut Berry Tart
1/3 cup hemp seeds
1 cup almond meal
¼ cup oat flour
¼ cup coconut oil
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 ½ cup full fat coconut cream
¼ cup pure maple syrup
2 tsp pure vanilla bean extract
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp agar agar powder
Mixed berries for topping
- Preheat oven to 180ºC and grease and line a tart pan.
- In a large bowl, combine hemp seeds, oat flour, almond meal, oat flour, coconut oil, and maple syrup.
- Place the crust mixture into your tart pan and firmly press it into the bottom and up the sides.
- Place in the oven for 12 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Let is cool completely before adding filling.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, add coconut cream, maple syrup, and vanilla pean paste. Stir to combine. Add corn starch and agar agar and stir constantly until the agar agar dissolves completely. If you have any lumps in your mixture put it through a strainer.
- Pour mixture into your tart pan and place in the fridge for 3 hours or overnight to set. Decorate with mixed berries to serve.
TIP: You can use 3 tsp of gelatine to 1 tsp of agar agar.
TEA PAIRING: These vegan coconut berry tarts pair perfectly with a pot of LongeviTEA.