Pear & Passion Fruit Upside Down Cake
This delicious gluten-free Pear & Passion Fruit Upside Down Cake is chock-full of nutritious ingredients. Pears and passion fruit are fabulous sources of immune boosting vitamin C and antioxidants that help protect the body from oxidative damage. Pears are also an excellent source of dietary fibre, especially pectin, that helps keep cholesterol levels in check and improves digestive health. Pear skins contain beneficial phytochemicals too, so buy organic pears when you can.
3 cups almond meal
2 tsp baking powder (gluten-free)
2 organic eggs
¼ cup cold pressed coconut oil
1/3 cup maple syrup or raw honey
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 large firm pears, cored, wedges (leave skin on)
1 large firm pear, skin removed, grated
1/3 cup passion fruit pulp, 1 extra for topping
- Preheat your oven to 180*C. Lightly grease a round cake tin with coconut oil and place a circle of baking paper in the centre to prevent your from cake sticking.
- Arrange your pear slices from 2 pears on the bottom of the cake tin.
- Place almond meal and baking powder in a bowl and mix well
- In another bowl place eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla bean paste, grated pear and 1/3 cup passion fruit and whisk until your mixture is well combined.
- Stir wet ingredients through dry, and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into your cake tin over the sliced pear. Place in the oven for 60 minutes, or until a knife comes out cleaning from the centre. If you cake starts to brown too much cover it with foil.
- When it comes out of the oven allow your cake to cool and then turn upside down on a plate.
- Decorate with extra passion fruit pulp and enjoy.
- Delicious served with coconut yoghurt.