No products in the cart.
These delicious wholesome muffins are a great alternative to sugar ladened chocolate chip varieties. Ripe succulent pear partnered beautifully with carob and vanilla makes the perfect tea-time treat. Pears are an excellent source of dietary fibre, which is an important part of our diet to keep us regular and to reduce the risk of bowel cancer. Keep the skin on for extra fibre. Carob is a great caffeine-free substitute for chocolate, which is also a good source of calcium.
[ Pear & Carob Spelt Muffins ]
2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 organic egg
1/3 cup raw honey or maple syrup
1/2 cup cold pressed coconut oil, melted
1 cup coconut milk
2 medium pears, diced (leave skin on)
1/4 cup carob buds (sugar-free)
1. Preheat oven to 180*C (350*F/Gas 4). Place paper muffin cups in a 12-hole muffin tray.
2. Place all dry ingredients into a large bowl, mix until well combined.
3. In another bowl add all liquid ingredients, whisk until well combined.
4. Slowly pour liquid into dry ingredients and gently combine. Be careful not to over mix as this will result in a heavy muffin.
5. Gently fold in pear and carob chips.
6. Spoon mixture into muffin holes and bake for 35-40 minutes, until muffins have risen and are golden brown.
7. Allow muffins to sit for 5 minutes on a cooling rack. Makes 12 medium sized muffins.
TEA PAIRING: These delicious pear and spelt carob muffins go beautifully with our Bodhi Organic Masala Chai.