There's nothing better than warm scones and jam with a pot of tea. These tasty oat scones with healthy blueberry chia jam are lovely and light and provide plenty of dietary fibre and antioxidants. Oatmeal contains beta-glucan a type of fibre beneficial for lowering cholesterol and protecting against heart disease. Oats are also important for good bowel health. Blueberries are a rich source of protective anthycyanins and vitamin C which are powerful antioxidants that help neutralise free radicals in the body and help reduce the risk of premature ageing and chronic disease.
Oat Scones with Blueberry Chia Jam
1 cup oat flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 organic egg
3 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp milk of choice
1/4 cup vanilla yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 220*C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl combine oat flour, rolled oats, almond flour, baking soda and sea salt.
- In another bowl whisk together an egg, coconut oil, milk, and yoghurt.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and gently combine.
- Place 2 Tbsp spoonfuls of mixture onto the tray. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Makes around 7 medium scones.
- Place in the oven for 12 minutes until golden brown.
- While your scones are baking make the chia jam. Puree defrosted blueberries with 2 Tbsp water then transfer to a small saucepan over medium heat, and add in the chia seeds. Stir until you have a thick jam consistency. Transfer your jam to a jar and allow to cool. Leftover jam stores well in the fridge for a week.
- Serve scones warm with jam. Delicious also served with some whipped cream or coconut cream or yoghurt.