This light lovely gluten-free Lemon + Almond Ricotta cake is packed with good quality protein to supply important amino acids to build and repair the body, make hormones and support lean muscle growth. Having protein with meals is important for maintaining a healthy weight by curbing hunger and sugar cravings and helping keep blood sugar levels balanced.
Lemon + Almond Ricotta Cake
4 organic eggs, separated
1/3 cup raw honey
Juice and zest of a lemon
250g almond meal
1/3 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
Juice and zest from a small lemon
1/4 cup raw honey
- Preheat oven to 150*C and grease and line a 20cm round cake tin.
- Place ricotta, egg yolks, honey, lemon juice and zest in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold in half the egg whites into the ricotta mixture and then fold in the remaining.
- Pour mixture into the cake tin and bake for 50 minutes, or until golden and a skewer comes out cleanly from the centre.
- To make the lemon syrup, add lemon juice and honey to a small saucepan and bring to the boil for 4 minutes, until it starts to thicken.
- Allow your cake to cool before removing it from the tin.
- Drizzle syrup over your cake and cover in pistachios.