These mouth watering little cookies are packed with nutritional goodness. Nuts are rich in protein and heart healthy fats, together with zinc to support healthy immune function and magnesium needed for energy production in the body and for good nerve function. Oats are a great source of slow release complex carbohydrates for sustained energy to fuel your body and mind. Oats also contain beta-glucan, a type of dietary fibre that is important for helping lower cholesterol levels and help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Dark chocolate is full of health boosting compounds called phenols that act as potent antioxidants. Dark chocolate is a well-known aphrodisiac. When you eat chocolate you actually get an increase in endorphins, the same chemicals you release when you are in love. Dark chocolate also contains phenylethylamine, a chemical that boosts dopamine levels, which increases your feelings of desire.
Hazelnut & Chocolate Oat Cookies
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup hazelnut meal
½ cup shredded coconut
2 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil
3 medjool dates, deseeded
2 tbsp raw honey or 100% maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 heap tbsp nut butter (100% almond, peanut or cashew)
80g good quality dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 150*C and line a cookie tray with baking paper.
- Place all ingredients (except chocolate) in your food processor and blend until well combined and mixture sticks together with fingers.
- Make 16 small cookies by making a ball with a spoonful of mixture then flattening it out on your cookie tray.
- Place in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes, until they are a light golden colour.
- To melt the chocolate use a water bath. Place chocolate in a small glass bowl and place in a saucepan with water half way up the bowl. Bring to the boil and allow chocolate to melt.
- To get perfect drizzle lines on your cookies, spoon chocolate into a zip lock bag. Snip a little off one edge and then drizzle over your cookies.
- Place cookies in the fridge until ready to eat.
TEA PAIRING: Our Bodhi Organic ViridiTEA goes beautifully with these hazelnut and chocolate oat cookies.